JetBlue Unaccompanied Minors Policy
Have your kid wish to visit their grandma this summer, but you’re not free? In that case, you can freely opt for the JetBlue Unaccompanied Minors policy. It’s a hassle-free and flawless way to book a flight for your kid while ensuring your child’s safety throughout their time away from home.
Under JetBlue’s Unaccompanied Minor program, the airline offers special services for children between the age of 5 to 14 years flying without an adult companion. A child below the age of 5 and who has crossed their 14th birthday can not be considered an unaccompanied minor.
To ensure a hassle-free and secure air travel experience for your child, JetBlue determines the number of UM booked on each flight to a total of three. Let’s take a closer look at JetBlue Unaccompanied Minor program!
Does JetBlue allow unaccompanied minors?
Table of Contents
- 1 Does JetBlue allow unaccompanied minors?
- 1.1 What are the documentation requirements for JetBlue UMNR?
- 1.2 What is a JetBlue unaccompanied minor form?
- 1.3 Unaccompanied Minor Travel Process
- 1.4 How to Book the Unaccompanied Minor Service on JetBlue?
- 1.5 JetBlue Unaccompanied Minor Onboard
- 1.6 Travel guidelines of JetBlue unaccompanied minor program
- 1.7 Frequently Asked Questions
JetBlue Airways allow up to three unaccompanied minors on each flight between the age of five and under 14 years. Please note that the airline doesn’t allow UM to travel on a connecting flight. A child below the age of 5 must be accompanied by an adult above the age of 14 years.
A child who crosses their 14 birthday is not considered an unaccompanied minor, but you may request additional assistance under these situations. To opt for JetBlue Unaccompanied Minors, you may have to submit a few pieces of documentation to ensure your kid’s safety. Check out the key pointers below to know the requirement of documentation-
What are the documentation requirements for JetBlue UMNR?
Under the JetBlue UM program, children between the age of five and under 14 years flying alone must carry a government-issued photo ID (such as a passport, birth certificate, school ID, or parent’s consent letter) for each flight.
Drop-off and pick-up requirements
- You’ve to submit a Photo identification for both individuals who drop off and pick up a minor. UNMR will only be able to take a flight with the parent’s consent letter or photo ID.
- The guardian who drops off and picks up a UMNR is above the age of 18 years old. However, they must carry valid ID and be mentioned on the Drop-off/Pick-up information.
- Gate passes will be available based on TSA’s discretion and safety recommendations. You can also check the gate passes availability at the JetBlue airport ticket counter.
What is a JetBlue unaccompanied minor form?
While booking a flight ticket for the kids flying without the supervision of a guardian below the age of 14, you may consider booking a flight ticket under JetBlue Unaccompanied Minors fare policy. To do so, you must have to fill out the JetBlue unaccompanied minor form embedded on the website and must be filled out before travel.
unaccompanied minor form
JetBlue Airways does not allow kids flying alone to check in online or at the kiosk. You must fill out a JetBlue unaccompanied minor form and any sort of mandatory Immigration documents for the scheduled day of departure.
However, the form is embedded on the official website of JetBlue and must be filled out before the travel date. Please note you’ve to print out the three copies of the filled form and bring them with you to the airport. Moreover, your kid must keep this form during their air travel.
Unaccompanied Minor Travel Process
At the airport
- The parents must escort the minor to the airport.
- After that, they have to wait until the minor takes a flight and departs.
- The guardians must carry three copies of the UMNR form and a valid photo ID.
- Parents or guardians must write down their name, address and contact details documented on the UMNR’s booking.
- The parents with a minor reach the terminal 1 hour before the scheduled departure time.
- The parents must wait at the airport until a minor flight departs due to sometimes flight delays.
- In case of delay, JetBlue’s representative will inform the parent so that they can meet the UMNR.
- JetBlue crew members will escort your child safely to the aircraft and ensure they are in their seats and buckled in.
- In an effort to guarantee safety, UNMR will be seated in the back seat of the aircraft so the onboard crew members can check on them when needed.
- The guardian picking up the minor must reach the airport 30 minutes prior to the flight arrival time.
- The picking-up guardian must have their name and contact number mentioned on UMNR’s form.
- The guardian who picks up a UMNR is above the age of 18 years old.
How to Book the Unaccompanied Minor Service on JetBlue?
- JetBlue allows its flyers to book flight tickets for UMNR online via jetblue.com or offline over a phone call.
- The airline may charge you a fee of 150 per person will automatically be added to your ticket price and must be paid at the time of reservation.
- You’ve to fill out the JetBlue unaccompanied minor form before the travel dates and print out the three copies of the filled form.
- If you forgot to fill out the form, you can fill it out at the check-in counter, but doing it in advance will save you from hassle.
JetBlue Unaccompanied Minor Onboard
JetBlue Unaccompanied minors policy are not allowed to fly a kid on Mint or higher cabin class. To take safety precautions, the UMNR will be seated next to the cabin crew members so they can assist and check on them from time to time. Seat ABC on the aircraft’s last row will be booked for unaccompanied minors.
Unaccompanied minors are only allowed to travel on a Blue Basic fare. They can even bring one carry-on bag on board with them. However, the children travelling alone are entitled to carry a full checked baggage allowance for their class of travel.
Travel guidelines of JetBlue unaccompanied minor program
JetBlue Airways does not allow unaccompanied minors to travel alone on a connecting flight. UMNR may be allowed to fly on nonstop flights operated by JetBlue. Please note that the airline does not offer any escort service for UMNR to connect flights with other airlines.
Parents are accountable for transferring their kids from JetBlue to other airlines. Even Unaccompanied minors are prohibited from JetBlue bookings with other airlines such as interline or codeshare partners.
On International flights
JetBlue Airways allows UMNR to travel on international flights, but the additional document requirement is mandatory and may vary depending on the country. If you’re booking a ticket for UMNR to travel on international flights, then you’re responsible for checking the document required before the travel dates and submitting the documents.
Kids flying with other passengers
If you wish to avoid the JetBlue unaccompanied minors fees policy, you can do so if the kid is between the age of 2 and 13, accompanied by a child at least 14 or older. If the kid is flying under the supervision of other customers on a separate reservation, the child’s travel needs to be reserved by contacting JetBlue to ensure the UMNR fee is waived.
However, the fee of 25 USD will be waived. At the time of reservation, you must provide the other passenger with a six-letter confirmation code for their booking. Please have this data before reaching out to JetBlue for booking assistance.
Unaccompanied Minors Fee
Under the JetBlue minor policy, the airline charges a 150 USD fee each way and automatically adds to your minor flight tickets. Here we’ve explained how the fee would apply to the different age group-
|UMNR Age||Travel Restrictions||Unaccompanied Minor Charges|
|4 years or younger||Not allowed to travel without the accompany of an adult||Not applicable|
|Between the age of 5 to 7 years||Allowed to travel on a direct flight||150 USD|
|Between the age of 8 to 14 years||Allowed to travel on a direct flight or connecting flights||150 USD|
|Between the age of 15 to 17 years||Allowed to travel on a direct flight or connecting flights||Otional|
Please note that the fee of UMNR will be the same on international flights within the United States.
We’ve discussed all the topics regarding JetBlue unaccompanied minor programs, and you can go through all the subtopics above for a better understanding. For further assistance, feel free to dial the JetBlue customer service number 1-800-JETBLUE (1-800-538-2583).
Frequently Asked Questions
Does JetBlue charge for Unaccompanied minor services?
Yes, the airline charges a 150 USD fee each way per person. However, the fees will be automatically added to your total fare for the flight ticket. To provide a secure air travel experience, JetBlue determines the number of UM booked on each flight to three.
Does JetBlue provide medication for Unaccompanied minors?
No, JetBlue crewmembers do not manage or be responsible for any medication for Unaccompanied Minors. The airline recommends parents inform the airline if their child is on medication. Make sure that UMNR has the needed details about medication dosage instructions.
Can a parent accompany a minor to the airport gate?
JetBlue Airways allows parents to accompany a minor to the airport gate. But to do so, you’ve to apply for a gate pass at the JetBlue airport ticket counter.